NBSE: Nagaland Board of School Education
The Nagaland Board of School Education or NBSE was set up through an Act by the Nagaland Legislative Assembly and received the assent of the Governor on the 15th of November 1973. The NBSE (Amendment ) Act 1990 empowers the Board to conduct the higher secondary school leaving certificate examination under the three streams- science, arts and commerce.
Timeline of Nagaland Board of School Education
1974 - The Nagaland Board of School Education started functioning
1975 - The Board held its first High School Leaving Certificate Examination at 6 (six) centre
1978 - A series of workshops, seminars, trainings and study tour were organized and the state level curriculum committee held its first meeting
1979 - The new curriculum, shaped after the needs of the state which was approved by the Government
1986 - A significant development marked the HSLC examination process with the introduction of centrally coded answer books for centralised evaluation.
1988 - the existing HSLC course was semesterised and bifurcated into two examinations, i.e. the Class 9 (Promotion) Examination and the HSLC examination. With the onset of semesterisation, supplementary examination was done away with.
1987 - the system of conducting supplementary examination in the middle of the year and immediately after the main examination was abolished.
1988 - The NBSE conducted the HSLC Examination 1988 on the new syllabus based on the national core curriculum. The first Class-9 (Promotion) examination was held in 1988 at all the recognised schools. Classes-8 and 9 examinations were decentralised where the Board sets and supplies the question papers and the schools evaluate and declare the results as per the criteria laid down.
1994 - The 1994 batch of students of Class 8 and 9 were allotted registration numbers consequent upon their success at these examinations.
1995 - The 1995 batch of students of Class 8 and 9 were issued pass certificates with registration numbers. This move made it easier for the Board to keep a track record of each student.
The Nagaland Board of School Education is basically instituted to achieve certain objectives such as:
- To prescribe courses of instruction for examinations,
- To prescribe conditions of examinations, conduct examinations and be responsible for making necessary arrangements for the same,
- To publish the results of external examinations,
- To prepare the curricula, syllabi and textbooks in accordance with the approved courses of study.
Functions of NBSE
- giving guidance to the State Government on development of school education;
- adopting reforms in examinations and evaluation practices;
- inspecting schools to ascertain attainment of standards;
- organizing seminars, workshops for teachers and heads of institutions.
Examinations of NBSE
The NBSE prescribe courses of instruction up to higher secondary level and vocational education. It conducts and supervises the conduct of following examinations:
- HSSLC Examination
- Class XI Promotion Examination
- HSLC Examination
- HSLC Compartmental Examination
- Class IX Final Examination
- Class VIII Examination
- Entrance Examination for technical courses such as Nagaland State Entrance Examination (NSEE) and any other examination directed by the Government.
NBSE Contact Details
Nagaland Board of School Education
Upper Bayavü Hill, Kohima, Nagaland 797001